Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a day in the life [of zach!]...

...which may or may not be as fabulous as that exclamation point implies. i leave you to judge.

Mondays & Wednesdays & Fridays go a li'l somethin' like this.

8:00 AM--cell phone alarm goes off. This is when I hobble out of bed and snooze the damn thing.

8:05 AM--it goes off again. Who invented the 5-minute snooze?

8:10 AM--repeat.

8:15 AM--finally haul my butt out of bed and dress myself somewhat sloppily for my horribly scheduled 8:30 AM chemistry lecture in Kent 107.

8:27 AM--actually leave Max West and head down Ellis Ave. towards Kent. little known fact--i move really slow in the mornings. So I'm usually late to chemistry. So it goes.

8:34 AM--when you get bored while walking, you time how long it takes you to get from A to B. Even though I know the walk takes 7 minutes, i still take my sweet time in the mornings. Well, now i'm here...i take my customary seat in the back half of the room, settle in, and listen to Norbert lecture on reaction rates and the like.

9:22 AM--i snapped out of my dozing [it's easier to daydream at college, for some reason] just in time to realize that chem lecture is over. i button up my black wool coat, sling my timbuk2 on my shoulders, and leave Kent. Now i have a choice: straight home, or a detour for breakfast? My stomach steers me towards the latter, which i buy from Einstein in the Reynolds Club. Seriously, the best breakfast is Naked's "Red Machine" smoothie and an everything bagel with garden veggie cream cheese [or "schmear"...i don't judge]. Delightfully delectable.

10: 25 AM--After breakfast, i'm heading towards Cobb for my Russian class, which is one of the highlights of my day. again, i'm late.

11:23 AM--Now i have to quickly cross campus [from Cobb to Pick, if you kids have a map of campus with you] to make it to my calculus class. which is even more unbearable than my early-bird chem lecture. sooo glad that this is MATH 153 so it can be DONE.

12:22 PM--Lunch time! In Bartlett! This is really nice, because i'm usually hungry again. And Bartlett has tasties for my tummy. For some reason i'm really good at budgeting my meal points, so i have a large amount [read: at least 250] of meal points at my disposal. i pick what i want [usually pasta and salad] and go sit at the Wallace house table.

1:30 PM--I stroll into Rosenwald [the Admissions Office, if you wanna be wordy] for my 3-hour shift. This is my time to open mail, drink hot chocolate, chitchat with counselors and elizaaaa...and blog! it's usually a fun time, but it gets boring/tedious reallllly fast. turn on my iPod, tune out my surroundings, and open mail like a banshee. Will do, captain my captain.

4:35 PM--Finally leave Rosenwald and head back towards Max West for homework. On a good day, i'll only have to read for Readings in World Lit. tomorrow. On a bad day, i have chemistry, russian and reading to do. Oh, well. Hi ho, ho hum: homework tedious and homework glum.

5:30 PM until ?? PM/AM--This is generally when i start doing whatever homework i have. No matter how much i have, though, i always get it done before going to bed. Which can lead to some pretty late nights. Once it's done, though, i get to go to bed. The bright side of M/W/F is that i have class the next day at 11 AM, which means awesome sleeptime for me.

Tuesdays & Thursdays switch it up a bit.

9:45 AM--I wake up. i generally like to wake up a li'l early on these days so that i'm awake and alert for the first class of the day, russian drill. this is different than russian discussion [WOAH look at the rhyming there] because we focus more on conversational skills than verbs or whatever. it's funnnn...i love languages so bad.

11:03 AM--No matter how early i wake up, i'm late. But it's cool, the people here are chill. I say my Russian equivalent of "excuse me" and "sorry" upon entering and take my usual seat and gab gab gab in the language that i love.

11:53 AM--Now it's time for my favorite class of these two days: Readings in World Literature. And i only say it because i looooooooooove my prof. She's Polish and beautiful, and her name is Marta Napiorkowska. She knows her stuff...so if you have a chance to be in her class, leap at the opportunity! You won't regret it. Talk to me if you wanna know about the Winter Quarter syllabus.

This is where my Tuesdays & Thursdays differ.

1:30 PM [Tuesday]--I make it ON TIME to chemistry discussion, where we generally goof off and discuss what we're doing with our lab time on Thursday. My TA is hilarious and knows his stuff at the same time, so he makes this class period fly by. LOVE. This class ends at 2:30, and then i go home [note that it's almost impossible for me to eat lunch on these 2 days...I snack a lot in class].

1:30 PM [Thursday]--I make it to chemistry lab, where we're doing a gruesome titration circuit. I mean, seriously. Is there any real reason to be doing upwards of 4 titrations? That takes literally 4 hours, true story. But it's fun and it's interesting, especially when you realize just how accurate your results are. Life's just better when your error is below 10%. Science nerds know what i'm talking about. Lab's supposed to end at 5:20, but sometimes we stay a li'l later in case lab runs a tad too late.

After both of those, it's back to Max West for homework, house activities [which get a bit confusing so i omitted them here...i can go into them later if you want!], and eventually sleeeeeeep.

Then the whole thing repeats.

So, that's my week. Keep the questions coming [save me from opening mail]!

zach