Monday, March 17, 2008

poorly disguised distractions!

Hey, all you already-admitted/eagerly-awaiting-decisions children. You get TWO posts today...what more could possibly ask for?!

I know, I know...but I don't know when they're being sent out. And even if I did, I couldn't tell you. Sorry!

But I do have some things to share with you that could brighten your day/evening/twilight/early afternoon/morning, depending on which timezone you hail from.

The first thing I'd like to tell you about [and I am very very excited about this, hence its high priority] is my Spring Quarter schedule. I know it's sorta like teasing you, but I thought it would be a really good way to give you guys insight on what classes the University has to offer. Because yes, you will eventually have to travel outside the Core.

Some of the classes that I landed myself with are just that--well outside the Core and they sound fabulous. The other two are Core requirements, but they're still pretty fantastic.

My earliest class will be at a luxurious and beautifully sun-dappled 10:30 AM, meeting Monday, Wednesday, & Friday, and it sees me at the Biological Sciences Learning Center [BSLC] for the probably grim topic of Biological Poisons & Toxins. This is a biology "topics" course, which is 1/2 of the Core requirement [the other course required is called "Biological Issues and Paradigms" and it is offered in 5 variations...we can talk about this later, yeah?]. A cool aside--get a 4 or 5 on the AP Biology exam [6 or 7 for IB] and you can bypass "Biological Issues and Paradigms" and head straight for a topics course. It frees up a quarter for a really fun elective like...

...Virginia Woolf! That's right, an entire quarter devoted to the woman, the wonder, the legend herself. I've actually never read any of her work, but I've always wanted to. Plus, the professor is supposed to be amazing. Her name is Lisa Ruddick, for future reference. Jon Ryan Quinn, one of the admissions counselors here in the 'Wald, actually recommended this to me. Can't wait! Oh yeah, and this class meets at 3:00 PM on just Monday & Wednesday, which is nice because [duhh!] it leaves my Friday with just 2 classes, that bio course and...

...Russian 103! Maybe a lot of you aren't as excited about this as I am, but that's cool. There are a lot of languages here, so just choose whichever one suits you. Why I'm extra-excited for this course is really simple. I switched sections [nothing against you, Eric!] into a class taught by a native speaker! She's supposed to be awesome, and again, I can't wait. Also, I'll have my favorite [also nothing against you, Katie!] drill instructor again [her name is Demelza, and she's soooo cool]!!! This meets at 11:30 on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday, with drill sessions on Tuesday & Thursday at whatever times work best. That's right...Russian meets in one way or another five times a week. But that's like...five times the fun. Fo' realz.

Last, but definitely not least, is a Human Rights course called War & Displacement in 20th Century Europe. I don't really know what to say about this, other than it should be pretty mind-blowing. This is the one class that I'll probably feel really out of my league in, but what's life without a risk? This class meets on Tuesday & Thursday at 1:30 PM.

So that's my schedule! Sorry I didn't get into the meat-and-potatoes of each course...but you have the College Course Catalog at your disposal.

My other two distractions require no introductions...instead, I'm gonna let you discover how awesome they are:

1. Stuff White People Like
2. Garfield Minus Garfield

So there you have it!

By now you should be so occupied that you'll stop wondering when those damn decisions will be coming out...right, Nick? And any other person who's contacted me?

You're all awesome, and I hope I can see you all on the Quads come Autumn Quarter!

And with that, it's time for a no-doubt-delicious Bartlett dinner. Mmmmmm.

--zach